Staffordshire Pink Gravel
Landscape designers love to use gravel because it is available in so many lovely, naturally occurring colours. Staffordshire Pink gravel will liven your landscape with its blend of whites, pinks, and greys. This a larger (20mm) gravel, making it suitable for drives and pathways; the size makes it unlikely to stick in tyre threads. It is also excellent as a groundcover/mulch and it looks very nice around container plants as well.
Why Landscapers Love Decorative Gravel
Beautiful hues such as those found in Staffordshire Pink Gravel are one reason that landscape designers throughout the world love to use decorative gravel for a variety of applications. Decorative gravel is natural and blends well with any landscape. Although gravel is a stone, it looks “softer” and feels “softer” under the feet than hard surfaces such as concrete and stone pavers. When designers are going for a warm, inviting natural look, decorative gravel is perfect.
Decorative gravel is also easy to use. It is not necessary to deeply excavate your ground to install gravel paths or drives. A gravel drive or pathway can be installed with relatively little effort.
Steps to Install a Decorative Gravel Driveway or Path
- Mark the area using stakes and strings or a rolling paint marker
- Remove weeds and other foliage, digging the area down about two inches to three inches.
- Compact the soil with a tamper or roller. This equipment is available for hire.
- If desired, treat the compacted area with a weed killer.
- Spread out the gravel to a depth of two or three inches. Lightly tamp it down.
Decorative gravel driveways and paths can last for years with proper installation and care. Rake your gravel lightly on a regular basis. This will prevent it from becoming compacted into the ground and being covered over with soil. Raking also keeps the gravel debris free.
Steps to Install Decorative Gravel as a Groundcover
- Prepare your soil as usual.
- Use a weed barrier fabric, such as polythene mesh or natural burlap over the beds.
- Set out your plants, cutting holes in the fabric to install them.
- Cover the area with a layer of decorative gravel at a depth of two inches or so.
- Water regularly as usual.
Greenvale’s Staffordshire Pink Gravel is available in tonne bags and large bags (25KG), as well as in bulk.