Builders sand is a fine-grained orange sand that has a variety of applications in construction, including as an ingredient in cement and mortar mixes. Sometimes called soft sand, building sand is finer in consistency than sharp sand and offers a smooth consistency that’s necessary in some contexts. Thanks to its excellent drainage properties, construction sand can also be laid on top of a sub-based to provide support when laying block paving, stone flags or concrete slabs, and can be used as a levelling aggregate more generally. This is due to water filtering freely through the sand rather than pooling and puddling on the surface.
As much of the material is sourced from the sea, care should be taken when using building sand around the garden, as the high salt content can inhibit plant growth. Despite this, building sand still has its uses in the garden – it can be used to aid drainage and even used as a de-icing salt alternative, with the high salt content working in your favour to melt ice and snow.
- Made up of small particles so ideally suited to applications where a fine consistency is required.
- Use as an ingredient in cement and mortar mixes.
- Can be used as the top layer of a sub-base prior to laying block paving, stone flags and concrete slabs.
- Construction sand is a natural product sourced from the sea so has high salt content and can harm plants if care isn’t taken in its application.
- Handy rock salt alternative due to high salt content.
- Please contact us if loose load delivery is required.