Buy silica sand and benefit from its versatility – this is a great all-round sand that can be used in commercial construction, horticulture, equestrian arenas and a variety of domestic contexts.
Silica sand is often used to mix mortars and specific types of concrete, and in fact can even be an effective partial replacement for cement. This is due to the structure of the silica grains improving the compressive strength of mortar and concrete, and increasing the permeability of the material. Many builders also prefer silica sand for block paving as it can be used to create a supportive, free-draining layer on top of the sub-bas. Produced by wind and water gradually eroding quartz until each granule is a smooth or sub-rounded grain, silica sand is child-friendly as the particles aren’t jagged and therefore aren’t likely to irritate eyes or have an abrasive effect on skin.
Keen golfers may be all-too-familiar with silica sand, as it’s frequently used to fill bunkers. Due to its excellent drainage characteristics it’s also used to maintain fairways and greens, and these qualities make it ideal for improving the drainage of soil in domestic gardens while encouraging vigorous plant growth.
Equine enthusiasts looking for a silica-based sand will be interested in our specialist sand that’s gentle on the eyes and just the right consistency to ensure your horse doesn’t ride too ‘deep’.
- Versatile sand that has numerous uses in commercial and domestic contexts.
- Use as an ingredient in mortar, speciality cements and to partially replace cement in some concrete mixes.
- Extremely fine, sub-rounded silica grains.
- Safe to be used in children’s sandpits.
- Used on golf courses to fill bunkers and to maintain fairways and greens.
- Excellent filtration medium and ideally suited to maintaining sports fields.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Please contact us if loose load delivery is required.