Grit sand – or sharp sands as it’s also known – has a reduced clay content and larger individual grains compared to other types of sand. Due to being a coarser grade of sand it can be used around the garden to improve drainage when introduced to clay-heavy soils, as its grain structure allows water to filter through freely rather puddle on the surface. It’s also ideal for providing support underneath slabs, block paving and flag stones, forming the top layer of a prepared sub-base. Once your new paving or stone surface has been laid you can work sharp sand into any cracks or gaps with a push broom.
Our grit sand bulk bags are often supplied to construction projects to be used as an ingredient when mixing floor screeds, renders and concrete. Sharp sand can also be mixed with builders or soft sand when laying paving courses, making it a versatile aggregate that has many applications in both domestic and commercial construction contexts. and it has a lower clay content. The sand of choice for providing support underneath flag stones, concrete slabs and paving stones, our sharp sand is also commonly used to mix concrete and other cementitious renders. It can be mixed with building sand depending on the application, playing an important part in any construction project.
- Grit sand is coarser than other types of sands and has larger individual grains.
- Introduce to waterlogged areas to improve clay-heavy soil, aiding drainage and preventing surface pooling or puddling.
- Use as an ingredient in concrete, floor screeds and other cementitious renders.
- Combine sharp sand with ingredients such as peat moss and vermiculite to create a free-draining, soilless potting mix.
- Not suited to use in sandpits due to angular, sharp grains that are less child-friendly than our silica or play sand.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Please contact us if loose load delivery is required.