Our dove grey 20mm limestone chippings – also known as Derbyshire grey gravel – is a hardwearing and affordable aggregate that’s frequently used on driveway or car park surfaces and other large areas that would benefit from hard landscaping. A mix of light and medium grey stones, this gravel compliments green planting and flowers so is also useful used around the garden. However, it’s advised not to use it to cover planted areas such as beds or borders as its an alkaline agent and as such, can be harmful to plants that thrive in pH neutral conditions. Likewise, it’s not safe for aquatic life but can be used to dress around water features. If you intend to use it to smarten up a tired-looking driveway, lay to a depth of 40mm at least in order to provide a stable walking and driving surface. If laid on top of weed control fabric this is an extremely low maintenance approach, as weeds will struggle to establish if UV light is prevented from reaching the soil sub-base below. Cost-effective when covering large areas, discounts are available when buying in bulk and loose loads can be delivered.
Our Derbyshire grey gravel is a natural quarried product and so may vary in colour and form. A limestone chippings bulk bag consists of stones 10mm – 20mm due to the mechanical screen allowing some smaller aggregate to pass through. Don’t be alarmed if your chippings arrive dusty, this is normal and after heavy rainfall or soaking with a hosepipe the stones will brighten.
- Light to medium dove grey hues compliment planting, flowers and most traditional and contemporary architecture.
- The least expensive product to provide a smart finish, suitable for use in domestic and commercial contexts.
- Hardwearing so perfectly suited to use on driveways, car parks and other high traffic areas.
- Suppresses weed growth by preventing UV light from reaching soil sub-base but allows water to drain freely.
- Limestone is alkaline and therefore could be harmful to fish and other aquatic life.
- Alkaline chippings are not suited to use as a decorative aggregate covering flowerbeds and borders where you have planting that prefers acidic or pH neutral conditions.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable.
- Please contact us if loose load delivery is required.